Crosby Hop Farm just received an award that is not directly related to the hops it grows. The hop farm in Woodburn, Oregon earned the status 2019 Best For The World: Changemaker, an award administered by B Lab, the global nonprofit that certifies and supports Certified B Corporations.
What’s a B Corporation? B Corp companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, improving the quality of life in communities through business, according to information from B Lab. There are more than 1,700 companies globally and 68 in Oregon certified as B Corps, so standing out in the crowd is no small feat. Learn more at https://bcorporation.net/.
Crosby Hop Farm joins a distinguished list with this Best for the World distinction. New Belgium Brewing earned Best for the World: Overall status, the highest designation available. Other Best for the World honorees include the likes of TOMS (shoes, not toothpaste) and Patagonia.
Here’s the press release from Crosby Hop Farms about the award. It includes information about why Crosby earned this distinction.
The Source of Earth’s Finest Hops, Crosby Hop Farm, Is a “Best for the World” Honoree
Woodburn, Ore., September 4, 2019 – Crosby Hop Farm, a Certified B Corporation, has been recognized as a 2019 Best For The World: Changemaker in recognition of its significant improvement to its overall impact on workers, communities, the environment, and governance. B Corps that earn the designation as a “Changemaker” set a gold standard for managing and improving business’ social and environmental impact over time.
Certified against rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency in business, Crosby Hop Farm became the first hop supplier to be a Certified B Corporation® in May 2016. Since that date, the company’s overall B Impact Score has grown alongside its continued investment toward greater social and environmental progress.
Blake Crosby, CEO, Crosby Hop Farm said, “We are honored to be recognized as a Changemaker. Guided by the fact that we don’t inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from future generations, it is our goal to make a positive and lasting impact while treading lightly on the land.”
Key improvements since 2016 include:
- Scaled the 100% renewably powered commitment by doubling the on-farm solar array and increasing offsets through PGE’s Clean WindSM and Green SourceSM programs.
- Added land/wildlife conservation efforts through continued expansion of biodiversity restoration sites and pollinator gardens at the farm.
- Zero Waste Program expansion with an increasingly upstream focus.
- Expanded Quality Program utilizing innovative technologies in the lab and pellet plant to greatly reduce chemical, water, and energy use. As a result of the program developments, more technical jobs have been added.
- Added employee benefits including family-friendly schedules, increased parental leave, and recognizing International Women’s Day as a new company holiday honoring Jennifer Crosby’s legacy.
- More opportunities for employee advancement and development including computer literacy skills and English and Spanish language classes.
- Community involvement in Woodburn Fiesta Mexicana, St. Paul Rodeo Western Art Show and the Adopt-a-Farmer program.
“We’re incredibly proud of this year’s Best For The World honorees,” says Anthea Kelsick, Chief Marketing Officer of B Lab. “These inspiring companies represent the kinds of business models and impact-driven business strategies that are building a new economy—one that is inclusive, regenerative, and delivers value to all stakeholders, not just shareholders. To that end, B Corps like Crosby Hop Farm are redefining capitalism and showing that it actually can work for everyone.”
Best For The World recognition is administered by B Lab, the global nonprofit that certifies and supports Certified B Corporations, which are for-profit companies dedicated to using business as a force for good. Using the B Impact Assessment, B Lab evaluates how a company’s operations and business model impact its workers, community, environment, and customers. To achieve the B Corp Certification, a company must achieve a score of at least 80 points on the assessment. Today there are 3,000 Certified B Corporations across 64 countries and 150 industries, unified by one common goal: to redefine success in business.
One thousand B Corps from 44 countries were named to the 2019 Best For The World lists, including Patagonia, Beautycounter, Dr. Bronner’s, TOMS, Seventh Generation, and Greyston Bakery. The 2019 Best For The World honorees are determined based on the verified B Impact Assessments of Certified B Corporations. The full lists are available on https://bcorporation.net/.