I’m going to tell you about a Valhalla Beer Dinner happening this Sunday, October 27th in Seattle, but first a word about the place where it’s happening.
As the rising tide of economic prosperity sweeps across Ballard, bringing towering new apartment buildings, modern craft breweries, and fancy-ass restaurants, the neighborhood remains what it has always been: the heart of Seattle’s Scandinavian community. Among all the techies and hipsters, there are still a few Jorgensons, Nordlunds, and Svensons haunting the local watering holes, but beyond that, and beyond the Leif Erikson Hall and the National Nordic Museum, there’s not a lot left that outwardly speaks to the neighborhood’s proud nordic heritage. And then there’s Skål Beer Hall.
This Viking-themed, beer-centric bar and eatery opened last spring on Ballard Avenue. It is perhaps the most Ballard thing that Balllard ever Ballarded. The draft beer selection at Skål Beer Hall is outstanding and so is the food. (Apparently, Vikings ate very, very well.) The interior design has plenty of references to the theme but manages to fall short of being kitschy. It’s just cool.
This Sunday, October 27th, Skål Beer Hall and Stoup Brewing invite you to join them in Valhalla for a five-course dinner and beer pairing worthy of the gods. Each course will include an 8-ounce beer pour designed to accompany the dish. The menu for the evening includes:
- Appetizer- Beer battered jumbo shrimp with a fried caper remoulade paired with Stoup English Mild
- Soup- Roasted apple and butternut squash soup paired with Stoup Hazy NW IPA
- Intermezzo- Funky Cold Sour Raspberry Granita
- Sea- Penn Cove mussels steamed in Stoup’s Please and Thank you IPA with sausage and grilled potato bread
- Pasture – Stewed Oxtail atop a parsnip puree with honey roasted brussel sprouts paired with Stoup Imperial Porter
- Dessert- Spiced chocolate truffles filled with salted caramel paired with Stoup Wizen Doppelbock
Purchase advance tickets online for the Valhalla dinner for up to 4 guests. No substitutes, please. No refunds. Menu subject to change. Tickets include meal, beer, and WA state sales tax. Gratuity not included. Other beverages are available from Skål’s regular menu.