I recently published a rare op-ed about some of the issues surrounding the pandemic-related health and safety guidelines pertaining to restaurants, bars, and brewery taprooms. That was before the enactment of Washington’s statewide rule regarding masks. This is a followup to the previous op-ed with more specific comments about that new rule. (Disclosure. I actually do know people who have contracted the virus. Some suffered but did survive, thankfully, while others are still fighting.)
Regarding masks, here are some thoughts about masking up, especially if you are headed to a bar or a brewery taproom.
- That’s what Facebook is for. Nobody at the taproom or bar cares about your opinion of the rule. Nobody wants to argue with you about the rule. The person working at the taproom or bar is required to enforce the mask rule just like they are required to enforce all sorts of other rules to which we’ve become accustomed. There’s a rule that says bars cannot serve alcohol to minors, but I’ve never seen a YouTube tantrum over the enforcement of that rule. If you want to have a tizzy fit about the mask rule, that’s what Facebook is for.
- Don’t be that guy. If you are the kind of person who walks into a bar or taproom and uses the excuse “I have respiratory issues” to avoid wearing a mask, even though you do not have respiratory issues, then you are a very particular kind of douche tuba. Do you realize how insensitive and disrespectful that is to people who really do have those kinds of issues? Do you also park your car in ADA parking spots? Don’t be that person.
- Ah, look at the pretty little flower! If you refuse to believe the scientists, doctors, and other experts who say we should wear masks, consider this. A mask proves that you are NOT some pretty little flower who cannot tolerate even the tiniest little inconvenience. A mask proves that you are a good American and are willing to tolerate a teeny, tiny bit of discomfort in support of making America healthy again. Put on your big-boy pants and take your medicine like mommy says.
- Wow. Just wow. If you think the pandemic is a hoax, then wow. Just wow. Until we have a little talk about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, I cannot help you.
- Would you like a side of E.coli with your COVID? If you go to a bar or taproom and discover that the establishment is skirting the mask rule, allowing or even encouraging patrons to also skirt or ignore the mask rule, then you should have some serious questions about your safety. If they are ignoring the mask rule, what other rules are they ignoring? Do employees wash their hands after they go to the bathroom? Do they refrigerate raw chicken? Did they cook your hamburger to temperature? So many of the other rules that taprooms, bars, and restaurants regularly follow are a lot more time-consuming and burdensome than the mask rule. Do you really want to get sick just so the brewery, bar, or restaurant can make what they imagine is a political point?
I hope this helps you understand the value of masking up. Though I have no illusions about my ability to change anyone’s mind, this does ease my own mind. Thank you for your kind indulgence.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled and less-controversial beer news and information.