As we reported earlier, the Washington Brewers Guild has been working busily down in Olympia during the nearly concluded legislative session. The bills that the Guild hoped to pass this year have made it to the governor’s desk. Here is the announcement from Annie McGrath, the Executive Director of the Washington Brewers Guild:
We are excited to report that our Washington Brewers Guild (WBG) priority bills have all been passed by the Legislature and are on their way to Governor Inslee for his signature!
Legislation goes into effect 90 days after receiving the Governor’s signature. We will be providing more information about how these new laws will be implemented soon, but until then, here is an overview.
SB 5006 – Limited WA Wine/Beer Sales at Breweries and Wineries:
- Creates an endorsement for breweries to sell wine produced in Washington, by the glass, for on-premise consumption
- Creates an endorsement for wineries to sell beer produced in Washington, by the single serving, for on-premise consumption
- Limits total menu offerings of wine or beer to three
- Endorsement is available for an annual fee of $200
- SB 5006 passed out of the Senate by a vote of 44-0 and out of the House by a vote of 96-1.
HB 2412 – Additional Retail Licenses, Dogs on Brewery Premises and Keg Registrations:
- Increases the amount of additional retail licenses available to breweries from two to four
- Directs the Department of Health to adopt rules allowing brewery owners to allow dogs on the brewery premise (if the brewery wants to)
- Eliminates keg registration forms and stickers requirements for keg sales at breweries
- HB 2412 passed out of the Senate by a vote of 48-0 and our of the House by a vote of 83-13.
We want to thank the many people who contributed to the successes this Session. Special thanks to our Board of Directors, Government Affairs Committee, Hill Climbers, our contract lobbyist (TK Bentler), and the many, many of you who contacted your legislators about these bills! We also want to thank our bill sponsors, Rep. Monica Stonier (Vancouver), Rep Joe Fitzgibbon (West Seattle), and Senator Dean Takko (Long Beach).
On behalf of our team at the WBG, thanks to ALL of you for your contributions to this industry. You are creating jobs, delivering tremendous economic impact for our state, making high quality and tasty beverages from ingredients grown here in WA, giving back to local charities and providing gathering spaces in communities all across Washington. We love getting to represent this amazing industry!