A couple weeks ago we shared the news that Reuben’s Brews was on the move to a new location and growing (read it). Now, we learn that they’re also hiring. Specifically, they are hiring a brewer. Candidates must have commercial brewing experience, as well as some barrel and sour beer experience. Below is the complete job description along with instructions for qualified applicants (no phone calls or drop-ins: see instructions below).
As we enter our next phase of growth at Reuben’s, we’re looking for gifted brewer with a brilliant attitude, a thirst for great beer, and a proven resume to become our Experimental Brewer. This new role will work alongside our Production Brewer / Manager and report directly to our Co-founder and Head Brewer.
The role will focus on brewing on and managing our pilot brewery and barrel-house. The Experimental Brewer will be ready, willing and excited to roll up their sleeves and do whatever is required – including grubby tasks, like keg cleaning. Brewing on the production system and bottling will also be required. The sky is the limit in this role – helping to design new recipes, expand our barrel program, drive our new sour program, and take our current award-winning line up of brews to the next level – all while brewing and having fun. The brewer who joins our team will be highly creative, be both a passionate leader and team player, be technically gifted and have a conscientious work ethic. He or she will be obsessively committed to the success of Reuben’s Brews and the craft beer industry as a whole.
Reuben’s Brews is a small, family-owned brewery located in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, WA. Since we opened in 2012, our beer has been awarded several local, regional, national and international awards. We won 4th place at the 2014 and 2013 U.S. Open Beer Championships, 21 medals at the World Beer Championships, and runner up Best Small Brewery in the 2013 Washington Beer Awards. It’s been an amazing journey since we opened in 2012, and we expect it to get even busier in 2015 with the addition of our new taproom and production brewery!
– Reliable, proactive, self-directed brewer. An expert in brewing processes including – but not limited to – filtration, yeast harvesting, barrel programs and recipe formulation. Sour program experience a definite plus.
– 3 years or more commercial brewing experience in a production brewery or brewpub setting. Formal brewing education preferable but not required.
– Proven history of crafting world-class brews as recognized by medals at the US Open, GABF, World Beer Cup etc.
– Disciplined understanding and proven ability to formulate and follow quality and safety procedures.
– Proven ability to generate new ideas and tasty brews, and most importantly to have implemented them.
– Ability to lift 55 pounds, regularly lift a full keg up onto another, twist / turn, reach over shoulders, bend / stoop and stand / walk on a continual basis.
– Infectiously enthusiastic and can-do attitude – a thirst to learn, to teach others, and an obsessive commitment to our brewery’s success is an absolute must.
– “We” mentality versus “I” mentality – team player who considers that any success an individual is due to the collective strength of the team.
Our team is the heart of Reuben’s Brews. We therefore offer competitive salary and benefits, career development opportunities and the chance to help us craft a wonderful future. Cheers!
To apply, email [email protected] three things: 1) An explanation of why you’d be the perfect fit for Reuben’s; 2) The recipe and brew log of a beer which you are particularly proud, and 3) Your resume. We will be reviewing applications in mid-February. No phone calls or in-person drop ins, please.