According to the calendar winter does not officially start until December 21st, but we know better. Look outside. Dark and gray. It won’t change until April. Yep, that season I refer to as the long wet nap has already begun. If you pay really close attention, you might hear a faint noise in the distance—a dull thud as your vitamin D level drops to the floor.
But alas, there is some good news to save you from those dangerously dark feelings of dreary despair! It is time for the Phinney Neighborhood Association’s 23rd Annual Winter Beer Taste. The event takes place Saturday at the Phinney Neighborhood Center in Seattle. Music will be provided by the Shed Boys. Pub-style snacks will be available. There will also be a silent auction of unique (and not-so-unique) beer paraphernalia.
Perhaps the single most astounding thing about the PNA Winter Beer Taste is that I have never been. Regular readers of this blog know that I get out quite a lot, and I’ve rarely run into a beer festival that I didn’t like, but over the years something has always popped up and prevented me from attending this one.
Let’s see, for at least a couple of years WABL planned its anniversary party on the same day as “the PNA.” I think my band had a gig in Carnation one year. My aging brain struggles to remember anything beyond that, but rest assured that something has always prevented me from attending this one. I know this much: most years it has been an unfortunately plain and boring reason that prevented me from attending the PNA Winter Beer Taste. This year it’s going to be different.
It is with great joy and fanfare, and no doubt very little interest on your part, that I hereby declare that I will be attending the PNA Winter Beer Taste this year. Yep, it’s actually going to happen. I’m pretty excited. So excited, in fact, that it will not even bother me to know that while I sample finely crafted beers in Seattle my wife will be doing the same in Chicago without me. You know, Chicago… “Hog butcher for the world, tool maker, stacker of wheat, player with railroads and the nation’s freight handler; stormy, husky, brawling, city of the big shoulders.” Chicago is where I will not be this weekend.
PNA 23rd Annual Winter Beer Taste
Saturday, , November 13th
7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
$25 for PNA members
$30 for the General Public
$10 Designated Driver Ticket
Buy Tickets Online
Here is the list of breweries and beers that will be pouring at the event.
- Anacortes Brewing – Vienna & Darkside IPA
- Baron Brewing – Three Skulls Winter Poison
- Bayern Brewing – Doppelbock & Dragon’s Breath Dark Heff
- Big Al Brewing – Tangerine Dream & Winter Warmer
- Boundary Bay Brewing – Cabin Fever
- Chuckanut Brewery – Chuckanut Pilsner
- Deschutes Brewing – Jubelale & Green Lakes Organic Amber Ale
- Diamond Knot Brewing – Industrial Ho! Ho!
- Elysian Brewing – Bi-Frost
- Epic Ales – Terra-Saurus
- Fish Brewing – Winterfish, Leavenworth Boulder Bend Dunkelweizen & Spire Mountain Dark & Dry Apple Cider
- Fremont Brewing – Universale Pale Ale & Bourbon Abominable Winter Ale (aka BBomb)
- Georgetown Brewing – Tomtoberfest & Cask Porter
- Golden Hills Brewing – Clem’s Gold & Ben’s Brown
- Hale’s Ale Brewery – Supergoose IPA & Wee Heavy
- Harmon Brewing – Big Woodrow & Oak-aged Pt Defiance IPA
- Maritime Pacific Brewing – Rum-aged Jolly Roger & Triple Dry Hopped Islander Pale Ale
- Naked City Brewery – Broken Bicycle Fresh Hop Saison & The Big Lebrewski
- Ninkasi Brewing – Total Domination IPA & Oatis Oatmeal Stout
- Odin Brewing – Odin’s Gift & Smoky Bacon Ale
- Pike Brewery – Pike Auld Acquaintance
- Port Townsend Brewing – Hop Diggidy
- Schooner Exact Brewing – Hoppy Holidays & Puget Soundian Dark Ale
- Scuttlebutt Brewing – Mateo Loco
- Sierra Nevada Brewing – Brewers Reserve Gran Cru & Celebration Fresh Hop Ale
- Silver City Brewing – Imperial Stout, Fat Scotch Ale
- Two Beers Brewing – Jive Espresso Stout
- Populuxe – “Smoke Means Progress!” Smoked Porter
- Reuben’s Brews – Reuben’s Roasted Rye PA