Seattle’s Populuxe Brewing is releasing two of its beers in cans. To celebrate this momentous occasion, the brewery will host a Beer Can Derby at the company’s taproom in Ballard on Saturday, November 10th. Guests are invited to create their own beer can car and race it down a pinewood derby track.
The entry fee is $10 and includes a starter kit that they’ll provide on the day of the event. Each starter kit includes everything you need to create your racer: wheels, framing, axles and, of course a can.
Race Day Schedule:
1 – 3 PM Build Time
3 – 6 PM Races – Races are single elimination and start on the hour.
1. The can weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the can shall not exceed 7 inches.
3. The overall width of the can shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
4. The can may be shaped or decorated any way that is desired.
5. The can must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
6. You must use official wheels and axles provided, YOUR CAN CAR MUST BE BUILT ON SITE.
1st Place – 1 Year Membership in the 2019 Populuxe Mug Club
2nd Place – $25 Populuxe Gift Card and Populuxe Trucker Hat
3rd Place – Populuxe Growler plus $15 Gift Card
Most Artistic Car – Populuxe Hoodie
Information about the beer from the brewery:
The CDA and IPA will be sold in 4 packs of 16 ounce cans with a limit of 6 four packs per customer.
Cinderblock CDA – Our Cascadian Dark Ale embodies the cognitive dissonance associated with “Black IPA”. Citrus forward hops dominate the nose and complement the complex, spicy, nutty and slightly smokey malt flavors. Examples of true American Black Ale are hard to find, and we think ours stands up with the best of them! Specifics: 6.8% ABV – 70 IBUs – 45 SRM
Populuxe IPA – Our “flagship” ale if we had one, Populuxe IPA is a classic example of a Pacific Northwest IPA. Bright floral, pine and berry hop notes layered onto a crisp, unobtrusive malt profile. Firmly but smoothly bittered, our IPA satisfies aficionados and new craft drinkers alike. Specifics: 6.5% ABV – 80 IBU’s – 7 SRM