Forty-one different beers from 39 Washington breweries, poured at 15 different events
We now have just about all of the descriptions for the beers of Washington Hop Mob. We provide them below. The annual series of events starts on Thursday, February 6th with the official kickoff at Brouwer’s Cafe in Seattle. Thereafter, other events will follow, spanning the western half of the state from Bellingham to Vancouver. Washington Hop Mob runs from February 6th thru February 15th.
For the 7th year, a number of Washington breweries stepped up to brew a beer for Hop Mob. In the past, Hop Mob beers were defined as Triple IPAs and each brewery was required to brew a beer of that style. This year, we decided to switch things up a bit and create a different set of requirements. While some beer fans were saddened to hear that we’d dropped the triple IPA requirement, it turns out a lot of the breweries decided to make triple IPA anyway.
The new requirement simply stated that the beers feature a complete expression of hop character and clock in at no less than 50 IBU (Internation Bitterness Units). As the list below shows, there’s no shortage of Triple IPAs, but there are plenty of other hoppy creations as well.
These beers will be poured at events across Western Washington, as far south as Vancouver and as far north as Bellingham, plus one in Pasco. Exactly how many beers and exactly which beers is up to the individuals hosting the events, but each event will feature no less than 8 of the Hop Mob beers. You will need to check with each venue to find out exactly which beers will pour.
For more information about Washington Hop Mob, the beers, and the events, please visit the official Hop Mob website at http://www.wahopmob.com
Here’s the list of beers as it exists right now. Keep an eye on the official website for the current list.
- 5 Rights Brewing – Full Code Triple IPA (OG: 1.090, ABV: 10.4%, IBU’s: 80, SRM: 7.2) -This year’s tribute to the Hop Mob is a big, bold, West Coast IPA that we dry hopped with copious amounts of Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. Big bright aromas of guava, orange and pineapple roll into a tropical deluge across the palette followed by a citrus zest and slight resin backbone. Although it’s an easy drinker the slight booziness to let you know this heart stopper means business. You won’t need your defibrillator here at 5 Rights. We’ve Got Your Remedy!
- 7 Seas Brewing – Hook, Line, and Sinker IPA. 6.5% ABV ~60 IBU. Brewed for this year’s annual Washington state Hop Mob IPA roadshow, we bring you Hook, Line, and Sinker…an IPA that combines the soft, supple mouthfeel of hazy IPA’s along with a decidedly West Coast style IPA hop charge. Intensely aromatic of hoppy citrus zest with a piney, resinous finish. Brewhouse hops include Magnum, El-Dorado, Mosaic, and Idaho Gem. Dry hopped with Azacca and Idaho Gem. A simple grist of NW pale, 2-row, and flaked oats lend a deep golden hue.
- Aslan Brewing – Beer TBA.
- At Large Brewing – Ladies & Gentleman, we have just reached our cruising altitude of 11.2%! This Triple IPA features Mosaic, Azacca, and El Dorado hops. Loads of stone fruit, pineapple, and citrus dominate the flavor and aromas thanks to the three separate dry hop additions. Brewed for this years Hop Mob IPA Roadshow, it will be around town for a limited time. So drift into the city, the timeless old attraction, cruisin for the action of this awesome beer!
- Bale Breaker Brewing – Mount St. Humulous TIPA, 9.9 % ABV, 77 IBU. Brewed annually as a part of the WA Hop Mob, Bale Breaker’s much-beloved Triple IPA hits like a volcanic eruption of the finest Yakima Valley hops. This year’s brew is designed to be even crisper and even more intensely hoppy than last year’s. Experience an explosion of hop aroma in each sip, thanks to a complex and massive dry-hop addition of MosaicTM, Citra®, PahtoTM, AhtanumTM, and HBC 692 hops. Be careful, folks… Mount Saint Humulus just might blow your top right off.
- Beardslee Public House – Hoppy Hoppy Nelson Beer. A standard India Pale Ale [ if you live in New Zealand ]!! Featuring lots of Nelson Sauvin hops from down under as well as a touch of Comet hops from Washington; HHNB weighs in at 6.8% abv and 70 IBU’s
- Bickersons Brewhouse – Make Up Six IPA 6.1% ABV 71 IBU– Bickersons version of a NE style IPA that has been double dry hopped. We started with a base of 2-Row and Pilsner from Skagit Valley Malting, threw in some Flaked Oats, Wheat and Barley with just a touch of Caramunich which adds a reddish hue to the beer. We then “Made Up” a six hop combination that we added during the boil, whirlpool and then double dry hopped using a combination of all 6. Azacca, Mosaic, Citra, El Dorado, Centennial and Summit, “Made Up” the “Make Up” combination. Citrus notes of passionfruit, pineapple and a mango punch.
- Big Time Brewing – Heart of Gold IPA- 8% abv 70 IBU’s- Blended base malts of Skagit Valley’s Copeland Pale and Great Westerns 2-row. Bittered with Columbus and late kettle additions of Falconer’s Flight and Citra hops. This beer is big bodied and boldly bitter. Dry hopped with Amarillo, Falconer’s Flight, and Chinook at 2.5 lbs/bbl for a true hop expression that is floral, tropical, and lightly piney.
- Black Raven Brewing – Red Rye IPA – 7.3% ABV, 50 IBU. rewed for the 2020 Hop Mob Roadshow, we created a beer supporting the mission of highlighting outstanding hop character. Two rounds of dry hopping on a 2.5lb-per-barrel hop bill of Strata, Barbe Rouge and El Dorado bring red berries and stone fruit into the spotlight. Malt plays a supporting role, adding body to balance the intense hop character with the rye malt harmonizing with the resinous hop notes. 7.3% ABV, 50 IBU. Brewed in our Redmond Innovation Brewery.
- Burke Gilman Brewing – Tonight We Settle All Family Business. 7.8% ABV. Hazy DIPA
Double dry hopped with Mosaic and Citra, at a rate of over 5 pounds per barrel. Big blast of citrus on the nose, berry, mango and citrus on the palate.
- Cloudburst Brewing – Beer TBA.
- Dreadnaught Brewing – Beer TBA
- Dru Bru – Single Batch #489 Special Black IPA. 6.5 % ABV, 60 IBU. A medium-bodied, dark russet-colored ale with roasty malt backbone and a hoppy finish. Dark malts create coffee, chocolate, and raising flavors while heavy-handed additions of Simcoe and Centennial hops add earthy notes of pine and stone fruit as the beer finishes.
- Dru Bru – Anti Session IPA – 9.9 % ABV. 100 IBU. A copper-colored ale with a huge malt backbone and mountains of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Modeled after our Hop Session IPA but cranked up to 11 on the volume dial. Magnum, Citra and Mosaic aroma hops combine with a dry yet formidable malt backbone to yield an aggressive ale with a blast of citrus and tropical fruit flavors.
- Farmstrong Brewing – Scram, Nerds IIIPA. ABV: 9.9 / IBU 110. Description: We’ve given you everything you’ve been asking for. This is a west coast *brut, hazy, dry-hopped, fresh-hopped, milkshake, session, wet-hopped, juicy, rye, New England*, triple IPA. Packed with Simcoe, Amarillo, and Azzaca both as both cryo and CO2 extract, this hop bomb is the perfect punch your taste buds have been asking for. Deceptively smooth for its ABV, this triple is designed to make inferior palates scram. (*lies*). Malt: Copeland Pale, Caramel 15. Hops: Zeus, Centennial, Simcoe, Azzaca, Amarillo
- Fremont Brewing – Beer TBA
- Georgetown Brewing – No Soup for You IIPA. ABV: 8.2. This beer is what most scholars would consider as being an “absolute unit of hops”. Malt: 2-Row, Rolled Oats. Hops: Columbus, Citra, Strata, Mosaic, Idaho 7.
- Grains of Wrath Brewing – Chainsaws and Boomsticks 9% ABV. Our offering for this year’s Hop Mob! Flavors and aromas of pineapple, lychee, and papaya.
- Hellbent Brewing – Lucky Juiciano IPA. This beer is a West Coast, juicy style IPA that’s brewed with two-row pale malt, malted white wheat, Dextrin malt, Cara-pils, flaked corn and rolled oats for a mellow bready malt base. It is bittered with a small amount of Simcoe hops and then about a 1.3 lbs/BBL blend of El Dorado and Amarillo hops in the whirlpool. Towards the end of fermentation, Simcoe, Citra, and Azacca hops are added in the first dry hop addition. The second hop addition at the end of fermentation consists of El Dorado, Cashmere, Sabro, Amarillo and Mosaic hops. Total dry hopping is a 3.4 lb hop/BBl. Alcohol content is 7.3% and the IBU’s are estimated at 64. Total JBU’s are 123. Please enjoy recklessly
- Kulshan Brewing – Ratchet Strap Imperial IPA. ABV: 8%, 75 IBUs. Malt: 2-Row, Golden Promise, Carafoam, Unmalted Wheat, Flaked Oats. Hops: Apollo, El Dorado, Citra, Lotus. Ratchet Strap is a powerful IPA full of finesse and bold hop character. Golden Promise, Unmalted Wheat, and Flaked Oats create a smooth and bready malt base, which perfectly compliments lush hope notes of mandarin orange, grapefruit, berries, and vanilla. Hold on to your hats folks, because this IPA is about to blow your mind.
- Lake Stevens Brewing – Heavy Hoperator Triple IPA (OG: 1.100, ABV: 11.2%, IBU’s: 100, SRM: 5.5). Juicy, floral and citrus bomb ignited with a 5lb per BBL dry hop of Citra, Cascade and Idaho 7. The opportunity to produce a less-deserving Hop Mob offering was lost on us. We love presenting this big, bold and bombastic brew. Pallette-forward notes of Peach, Grapefruit, Lychee and dank Sticky Pine. This smooth yet frighteningly drinkable monster will question your grip on reality!
- Matchless Brewing, a collaboration w/ Airways Brewing – In Flight Service. 6.8%ABV , 50+IBU (Duh). Like a supersonic flight out of this rain and glomb to a palace orange and bright! In Flight Service drips with citrus, soft fruity but balanced with a touch of acid and bitterness. Perfect for the hoppy roadshow!
- Mirage Beer Co – CAVALLI FURS is a NE-style double IPA that was brewed with Azacca cryo-hops in the whirlpool and later double-dry-hopped with Sabro, Galaxy, and Sabro cryo-hops. 8.2% ABV
- Old Stove Brewing – Piston Hondo’s Comeback – 8.8% ABV – 70 IBU – A sturdy Double IPA dry hopped 3 times with copious amounts of Columbus, Simcoe, and Citra. A piney and citrusy hop bomb, indeed.
- Postdoc Brewing – Hogus Maximus Triple IPA – 10.9% ABV / 100+ IBU. Hogus tastes like pure hop juice. Dank, piney aromas overwhelm the nose and continue into the flavor, where they are balanced by enough citrus to complete the American hop trio. It finishes dry, with almost no malt flavor to get in the way of the hops.
- Ravenna Brewing – Battle Queen Hazy Triple IPA 10.3% 85 IBU. Pushing Skagit Valley Malting to its limits. This insanely hopped IPA is drenched with African Queen and Nelson Sauvin hops. This beer comes out swinging out of the gate! So sit back, and enjoy this Humulus Lupulus ride!
- Reuben’s Brews – Blimey That’s Bitter! – 10.5% ABV. An intense citrus, pine, and tropical aroma is followed by a smooth medium-full mouthfeel. Using ludicrous amounts of hops we focus on hop flavor and aroma. The vast majority of hops are added late in the boil for a delightfully bitter brew.
- Silver City Brewing – Big Bad World Hazy Belgian Double IPA – 9.4 % ABV, 80 IBU. Ingredients from all over the globe were utilized to create this Hazy Belgian Double IPA. Belgian yeast presents a spicy fruit aroma on a pillowy malt body that blends with pineapple, pine, and passionfruit hop aroma. Hops – Bravo, Simcoe, Vic Secret.
- Single Hill Brewing – SINGLE HILL IIPA. A full-bodied and floral double IPA brewed with Chinook, Citra, Ekuanot, and Idaho 7 hops.
- Skookum Brewing – Follow Your Nose – 8.5% double IPA with citra, galaxy, simcoe and nelson hops. Intensely aromatic with a silky smooth body.
- Sound to Summit Brewing – Beer TBA
- Standard Brewing – Beer TBA
- Stoup Brewing – I’m Running Free Imperial IPA, ABV: 8.5% IBU: 90 SRM: 4 Unrestrained by the rabid calls for “more haze!” and “more juice!”, this year’s Hop Mob IPA is running free with an unapologetically Northwest style. The malt bill is sturdy enough to carry the bold citrus, pine and grapefruit aromas of Simcoe, Citra and HBC 692 hops, yet crisp enough to keep it crushable. If this beer could sing, it would be singing this loud and clear, “They ain’t got a thing on me, I’m running wild, I’m running free…”
- Structures Brewing – “Sleestak” pale ale brewed with our favorite blend of malts and hopped with Amarillo. Extrinsic to the landscape of hop mob.
- Three Magnets Brewing – Chasing Fog – Hazy IPA – 7.0% ABV – available in draft & cans! It’s that Hop Mob Roadshow time of year again, and this time around the IPA drinking shitshow is armed with new purpose – to serve IPA’s that aren’t a whopping 13% abv, and ones that are actually bitter. This time around we were free to make whatever IPA we wanted, so long as it had at least 50 IBUs. So we got out that old IBU measuring device covered with years of malt dust from not measuring or hopping IPAs during the long-forgotten days of the Hazy/Juicy IPA era. Brewed with Cashmere, Blanc and Galaxy, this beer does not hold back on what dankness and fruity can do in a duality that could be the new school reimagined IPA.
- Two Beers Brewing – Little Tahoma is a Double Dry Hopped West Coast DIPA ft. Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo hops. 8.25% abv and 70IBU. Layered flavors of mango, tangerine, and grapefruit compliment ripe berry and a subtle earthiness.
- Urban Family Brewing – Whatever, Mortal DIPA, 8% ABV. West Coast IPA meets the haze craze. This DIPA is loaded with tons of late addition whirlpool hops and aggressively dry-hopped during and after fermentation with Citra, Lotus and Idaho 7.
- Varietal Beer Co. – WeedWolf: Moon Druid, West Coast Double IPA. Simcoe, Idaho Gem, and Comet hops. Aroma of tangerine with big melon flavors. Restrained bitterness, smooth biscuity malt
- Wandering Hop Brewing – Aggressive Prius – Our tribute to the Road Ragin’ Prius Drivers we encounter every time we deliver to the Seattle Area. Aggressive Prius is a big Hazy Double IPA packed full of Citra, Mosaic, Azacca and Galaxy hops. It has a slightly resinous aroma with a massive fruit packed punch. It sits at 7.5% ABV.
- Wandering Hop Brewing – Wandered Off – Our yearly Northwest Triple IPA brewed to showcase to balance between malt, hops and a high alcohol content. A generous bittering addition gives it a Northwest to the Core flavor that pairs great with the huge dry hop of Citra and Mosaic. This year’s batch is a deceiving 9.5% ABV.
- Watts Brewing – Il Sicula, Wheat Session IPA – 4.7% ABV. He may be small, but don’t cross Il Sicula, or you may end up with a hop cone lodged between your third and fourth rib. Capisce? Il Sicula (the Sicilian) is a session-strength wheat IPA featuring Comet, Ella, and Mosaic hops which, when paired with the robust mouthfeel of wheat, produce a 4.7% ABV beer that punches well above its weight.
Get out there and support Washington-brewed beer!