The results of the 2018 World Beer Cup were just announced. Dubbed the most prestigious beer competition in the world, this year the WBC evaluated over 8,000 beers in 101 beer style categories. Not just American breweries, but breweries from around the world enter this competition. This is serious business. These awards are hard to get and highly coveted. Pictured above: Silver City Brewery’s Director of Operations Gary Winn and Brewmaster Don Spencer hoist the Gold award for Wonderland Winter Lager.
As for Washington, our local brewers brought home 10 medals this year (listed below). For complete results, visit the WBC website. Of the Washington winners, Chuckanut Brewery brought home two gold medals because, you know, they’re Chuckanut. It’s what they do.
Of Washington’s 10 medals, four of them were awarded to Bellingham breweries. That’s damn impressive. (Yes, Chuckanut also brews at the South Nut in Burlington, but I still think of them as a Bellingham brewery.)
World Beer Cup Info:
Beers were judged during six sessions over a period of three days by an elite panel of 295 judges from 33 countries—72 percent of whom were from outside the United States. Judges evaluated 8,234 beers—a 25 percent increase in the number of entries from the 2016 World Beer Cup. Of the 2,515 participating breweries, 807 were from outside the United States.
Out of a possible 303 awards in 101 beer style categories, 302 were awarded. One gold award was not given in Category 36, International-Style Pilsener.
Average number of beers entered per category: 82 (a 13 percent increase from 2016)
Most-entered categories in 2018:
- 377 entries in Category 93, American-Style India Pale Ale
- 196 entries in Category 94, Imperial India Pale Ale
- 196 entries in Category 28, Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer
- 190 entries in Category 29, Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Stout
- Number of countries represented: 66 (a 20 percent increase from 2016)
Countries with the most awards:
- United States: 242
- Canada: 14
- Germany: 9
Country with the highest winning rate: Belgium (10 percent)
Panama won its first-ever World Beer Cup award. All other award-winning countries were previous winners.
Medal, Beer Name, Brewery Name — Style Category
- Bronze, Old Bounder, Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro — Barley Wine-Style Ale
- Gold, Chuckanut Pilsner, Chuckanut Brewery — Bohemian-Style Pilsener
- Bronze, Fresh Frozen, Cloudburst Brewing — Fresh or Wet Hop Ale
- Gold, Gusto Crema, Georgetown Brewing Co. — Coffee Beer
- Bronze, Černé, Chainline Brewing Co. — Dark Lager
- Silver, Born & Raised, No-Li Brewhouse — Double Red Ale
- Gold, Wonderland, Silver City Brewery — German-Style Bock or Maibock
- Gold, Chuckanut Kolsch Style, Chuckanut Brewery — German-Style Koelsch
- Gold, Frances Farmer, Aslan Brewing Co. — Specialty Saison
- Silver, Starway Stout, Barrel Mount Brewing. — Export Stout