Washington breweries brought home a total of 28 medals from the 2018 Best of Craft Beer Awards. We share the list below. The winners of the annual beer judging competition were just announced. Perhaps the most notable Washington winner was Georgetown Brewing, which won gold in the most highly contested category, IPA.
This year’s competition saw nearly 2,000 beers submitted by breweries from across the nation. In all, 245 medals were awarded to 145 different breweries from 35 states. Beers were judged in over 80 different style categories in accordance with Brewers Associations style guidelines by a panel of 78 judges. The Northeast-Style Pale Ale, Northeast-Style India Pale Ale, and Northeast-Style Imperial or Double India Pale Ale were judged based on style guidelines Best of Craft Beer awards published themselves. The panel included 78 judges, including BJCP-certified judges as well as guest judges from the craft beer industry. (Beer Judging Certification Program.)
Here are just a few highlights.
- As you might imagine, the IPA category saw the most number of entries, with 150 beers submitted for judging. Georgetown Brewing’s Lucille IPA brought home the gold.
- The second most-submitted style was Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer. In that category the bronze medal was awarded to Seattle’s Ravenna Brewing for its BA Lion Tamer Bourbon Vanilla Porter.
- Two of the three medals awarded in the American Stout category went to Washington breweries. Bron Yr Aur Brewing (Naches) won the gold and Old School House (Winthrop) won the bronze.
- Several Washington breweries brought home two medals, but Barrel Mountain Brewing (Battle Ground) and Kulshan Brewing (Bellingham) brought home three medals each.
- Ten Pin Brewing of Moses Lake brought home the bronze in the Northeast-Style Pale Ale category. I knew that Northeast-Style IPA was now an official thing according to the BJCP, but apparently so is Northwest-Style Pale. (I drank Ten Pin’s Gutter Ball Pale Ale recently. Super fruity and delicious. Highly quaffable.)
Below I share the list of Washington winners. For complete results, visit the website at http://bestofcraftbeerawards.com/best-of-craft-beer-awards-winners/