It’s a one-day, statewide celebration of the brewing industry. In fact, the Governor just proclaimed it Washington Beer Day. On Saturday, March 2nd, Washington Beer Open House sees scores of breweries across Washington offer something a little special. For some breweries, it’s about opening the brewhouse doors and offering brewery tours, for others its about special beer releases. Anything goes, from beer and food pairing menus to live music. Each brewery plans its own way to celebrate.
This year Washington Beer Open House takes place on Saturday, March 2nd. This marks the 9th consecutive year for the event. Visit the official site for more details and a listing of events.
Here are just a few examples of what Washington breweries have up their sleeves. Farther below, a list of all the participating breweries. Figure out which ones you want to visit and make a plan. You’ll have to do some research on your own to find out about each brewery’s plan. (Breweries, you are welcome to use our comments section to share info.)
- Urban Family Brewing – Seattle – They’ll release the next two installments in our Reserve Series during the Washington Beer Open House. This program is meant to be single-barrel selections of curated beer, and quantities will be limited. Brewery tours at 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00. Nacho Mama’s will serve tasty food from 1:00 – 8:00.
- Badass Backyard Brewing – Spokane Valley – Tapping two new releases. Also organizing a group to go to Mt. Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park. Details on their Facebook page.
- Farmstrong Brewing – Mount Vernon – Brewery Tours 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00. At least two new, special beers on tap. Meets the folks from Skagit Valley Malting and possibly some of the local farmers. Live music from 3:00 – 5:00 featuring Dead Lee.
- Bainbridge Brewing – Bainbridge Island – This year the brewery will be offering a variety of beers pulled from its cellar. At both locations, the brewery and taproom as well as the taproom in downtown Winslow (near the ferry dock).
- Geaux Brewing – Auburn – Tours of the brand brewhouse, along with samplings their latest barrel-aged project using port bourbon barrels. Big Mischief provides live music at 5pm.
- Bale Breaker Brewing – Yakima – At noon, they’ll kick off the day with a Welcome Hour (taster flight of any six beers for $10). Guided brewery tours throughout the day. 2:00 – 3:00 is Social Hour, with a special cask tapping — hang out with the brewery staff. Happy Hour is 4:00-5:00, with $3 pints.
- Brother Barrel – Seattle – Brother Barrel is opening at noon, three hours earlier than normal, for WA Beer Open House. They’ll offer $8 flights of Elliott Bay Brewing’s Barrel Aged Beers from 12:00-3:00 when they officially open. Three 4-oz. beers per flight.
- The Breweries of Snohomish – Snohomish – Four-way collaboration with four Snohomish breweries using the same malt and the same yeast. Each brewery will highlight one unique hop. Hit all four breweries and you’re eligible for prizes. Haywire Brewing, Sound to Summit Brewing, Lost Canoe Brewing, and Scrappy Punk Brewing.
Those are just a few of the events happening for Washinton Beer Open House. See more event listings here.